- Pancreas Divisum
Pancreas divisum results from a failure of ventral and dorsal bud fusion. The ventral (Wirsung) duct drains only the ventral pancreatic anlage, whereas the majority of the gland empties into the minor papilla through the dorsal (Santorini) duct. It is the most common congenital anomaly, occurring in 4%–14% of the population, as evidenced by autopsy result.
- Annular Pancreas
Annular pancreas is a rare congenital anomaly in which incomplete rotation of the ventral anlage leads to a segment of the pancreas encircling the second part of duodenum. It is a morphological anomaly which can cause duodenal obstruction.
- Variation in Pancreatic Duct Cours
The pancreatic ductal system may show variations based on the spatial relationship of the ducts of Wirsung and Santorini and their relation to the common bile duct and to the duodenum.
- Agenesis and Hypoplasia of the Pancreas
- Ectopic Pancreas
Ectopic pancreatic tissue is usually seen in the submucosa of the gastric antrum (30%), the proximal portion of the duodenum (30%), the remaining duodenum (20%), or other regions of the small bowel (20%).
- Pancreatic Cysts
These cysts develop as a result of sequestration of primitive pancreatic ducts and are lined by cuboidal epithelium. Congenital pancreatic cysts are generally asymptomatic.
- Yu J, Turner MA, Fulcher AS, Halvorsen RA. Congenital anomalies and normal variants of the pancreaticobiliary tract and the pancreas in adults: part 1, Biliary tract. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006 Dec;187(6):1536-43.
- Yu J, Turner MA, Fulcher AS, Halvorsen RA. Congenital anomalies and normal variants of the pancreaticobiliary tract and the pancreas in adults: part 2, Pancreatic duct and pancreas. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006 Dec;187(6):1544-53.
- Alexander LF. Congenital pancreatic anomalies, variants, and conditions. Radiol Clin North Am. 2012 May;50(3):487-98. doi: 10.1016/j.rcl.2012.03.006.
If you enjoyed this article please give it a clap (or 50) and share around on the socials.